Community Support Services
Community Support Services (CSS), a leader in behavioral healthcare for adults living with severe and persistent mental illnesses is in search of a Full Time SSVF Outreach Worker. This employee does aggressive case finding of persons who are homeless and Veterans. Engage Veterans who are homeless or at risk of homelessness in short term case management series to secure or preserve housing. The Outreach Worker will work with Veterans who are homeless for approximately 3 months to secure main stream resources, VA resources, and housing. The Outreach Worker will make contact with the persons to be served via direct referral and in non-traditional settings such as meal sites, shelters, the street, abandoned buildings, etc.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Continuously and independently provide case finding through personal networking with street dwellers, shelters. meal sites and other places where homeless people gather.
2. Assess persons who are homeless to determine appropriateness for service.
a) If appropriate (as determined by the SSVF eligibility Screening Disposition Form), develop rapport through contacting persons to be served in their environment. Provide or assist person in accessing basic necessities, such as food, clothes, blankets, shelter and entitlement programs.
b) If not appropriate for the SSVF program assist person in accessing appropriate series though referrals to community resources.
3. Work closely with other social services agencies that provide services to those who are homeless, or risk homelessness, by accepting referrals from them and making referrals to them. Provide consultation/education regarding VA eligibility, behavior management, and mental health issues.
4. Participate in regular team meeting with Info Line (subcontractor), outreach workers and VA staff as appropriate.
5. Request and/or schedule other necessary evaluations and assessments in order to establish housing plan and preferences of persons served.
6. Schedule and participate with the person served in the development of a housing plan. Write up the plan and distribute to necessary participants for approval.
7. Monitor and coordinate the delivery of services outlined in the individualized housing plan.
8. Provide, coordinate and/or assist in crisis intervention and stabilization services during regularly scheduled working hours and be available for "after hours" emergencies in accordance with established agency Emergency Services on-call procedures and grant requirements.
9. Assist the person served in achieving the objectives in the Housing plan and maximizing Independence and productivity though support and training tin the use of personal and community resources.
10. Assist in the development of formal and informal community support activities on behalf of persons the agency serves.
11. Assist in the development and/or increasing social support networks of relatives, friends, and volunteer organization s that mediate life stresses resulting from the individual's needs.
12. Assist individual served with applying for Main Stream resources as appropriate.
13. Assist individuals served with applying for VA benefits.
14. Provide service linkage and advocacy in community settings as appropriate to the needs of the individuals served.
15. Maintain relevant documentation and provide statistical reports in accordance with agency documentation standards and grant requirements.
16. Attend regularly scheduled staff and supervisory meetings.
17. Responsible for being knowledgeable about rights of persons served and procedures governing them.
18. Observes all rules of confidentially as it relates to clinical information both internally and in dealing with outside individuals and/or agencies.
19. Participate in ongoing agency staff training/development programs and attends SSVF webinars, conference calls, and meetings as requested.
20. Assume other duties and responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
Education: Bachelor's degree in a Human Services field Required.
Experience: Prior experience in working with homeless individuals or Veterans.
Preferences: Veterans will received preference for this position.
To apply, please e-mail resumes and salary requirements/history to: email@example.com 150 Cross St. Akron, Ohio 44311